viernes, 23 de julio de 2010

Living in a city has its ups and downs

Hola!! man as soon as i sit down to write about the days i realize that some many things happen and its only been what two days ? crazy. Well Dia de Los Amigos- we danced the night away til 3 am, these argentines are crazy! They go out to the clubs at one, the prime hours are between 3-5 and then they call it a night about... 7am?? but my first Argentine club experience- i had a blast dancing the only downside was that everybody here smokes! ah i mean i'm trying to dance and my lungs were filling up with smoke so obviously i wasn't able to really dance to my full capacity. haha but it was fun.
The next we ate at this bomb parilla: BBQ! Se llama las cholas. They meat was awesome, grilled vegetables, kabobs, delicioso. Then we (me and some kids form the program) went to explore! We went down to Retiro which is the center of the city, saw some sites, watched some guys in a do some soccer tricks and then headed home...on the subway. So far, taxi, bus and now the subway. There are soo many people so tightly packed in that little space i can imagine that people don't survive! And...the program directors always warn us about how you have to be careful not to get pickpocketed on the subway, because lots of people, crowded spaces its easy to not even realize it. And as soon as i left teh subway i realized my backpack was unzipped and i had been a victim. Honestly i was so frustrated when i realized it because i had already lost my phone the day before and had to buy and new one and then to realize that a good amoutn of money, my credit card etc was gone..yesterday was kinda rough. I walked into the apartment building and couldn't help by cry when the portero asked my how my day was. Carlos (the portero, or lobby man) was really sweet and gave me a hug and listened to my trials of the day. Whew i think sometimes it takes me learning the hard way that i have to be more aware and careful. So hopefully lesson learned.
Anyways but today, me and my friend Mette were on a mission-compra un futbol!! Seeing the kids juggling in the plaza the other day inspired us to practice. So we got one and were walking down to the fields by my apartment when we walked past what looked like a semipro futbol stadium type field and hoped we could walk in and play on the field. Aparently that's where a semi pro team and the university's girls club team plays. These two guys- Detu and Matias were explaining this to us and showed us some indoor soccer courts we could lay on. I guess its also a place where kids come to play?? Still not totally sure, but these two guys in their late 20's maybe were telling us they are soccer fans and players (everyone here plays soccer) they were teaching us how to juggling and kicking around with us! Matias was like our trainer- he said for every hundred juggles, Mette and I had to do ten, haha obviously we are amatuers, but hey being in argentina we're inspired to play, get better -its just so fun! It felt so good to be active. And you know me i want to soak in the "local experience" as much as i can- it was a blast. They said they watch the semi pro games every saturday and then have a parilla! even though tonite isn't saturday they're having a parilla and invited us to stop by! so we're gonna check it out.
So those are some of the adventures of the day. Being here is awesome- i lvoe the adventure i love the country, and even thought its so fun, i'm definitely starting to feel the tug of missing the community of being home. Honestly i miss talking with my friends about Jesus. I know he is here with me but i just am craving the Christian community i have experienced at school and at home. Already God has brought his name up in conversations with the people from my program and it has been awesome. People can't escape thinking about God, thinking about a higher power, and what they believe in. And when he brings up those conversation i love it.
I know this is a long entry but i as i've been reading in Jeremiah God has just been showing me some really cool things. First of all this has been my encouragement since i've been here
"But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him.
He will be like a tree palnted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
Its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit." Jeremiah 17:7-8
Ah so encouraging that Jesus is that stream of living water that sustains me and i don't even have to look into the future and fear- where will my encouragement and sustanence come from? What if i'm alone? What if i dont' feel poured into? Jesus is the source. It makes me realize how blessed i have been in my life to constantly be surrounded by other hearts that are united with Christ. Man it is a beautiful thing. And something i can't wait to experience again.

This is the other thing i lvoe from jeremiah. This is when Jeremiah is telling God that by speaking his word he was put in teh stocks, he was mocked and ridiculed.
"But if i say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name,
his word is i nmy heart like a fire,
a fire shut up in my bones.
I am weary of holding it in;
indeed, i cannot" Jeremiah 20 :9
Jeremiah confesses that even if he wanted he couldn't stop the word of the Lord from coming forth. The Lord will make himself known. that is who he is and that is what he does.

All that to say i don't know if i made it clear, but i have definitely experienced feeling weak and incapable over the past two days. Its easy to think- man i am alone, and i am incapable to hold all these things together and sometimes i just want to be surrounded by people i miss at home, but God is still showing me things and i reminding me that he is strong and he is here and i'm holding on to that the best i can.

Ok se extraño uds. ciao ciao!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario